RE: GNOME-DB 0.1.0 released!

From: Rodrigo Moya
Subject: RE: GNOME-DB 0.1.0 released!
Date: 29 Sep 2000 06:40:01 -0100

> > GNOME-DB 0.1.0 (a.k.a. olympius) has been released.
>
> Congratulations to all that made this happen!
>
> gnome-db is a great project!
>
> Being a man that lives in the future, this leads me to the question:
> what steps will we perform next? :)
>
> Two things are of great interest for the GNUe team:
> * Are there still any real gnome-dependencies in libgda, or is it
> just the cleanup of the #include's that is missing?
> * Will you switch to glib 1.3 to remove GTK dependencies in libgda,
> or will you wait for 1.4 (the latter would result in some problems
> for us, because we need to run libgda on servers that don't even
> have X installed).
>
> If there is any chance that we can help speed up deXify libgda,
> we will _gladly_ do what we can. We just don't want to duplicate
> work that you are doing currently, too.
> Please let us just know what to do.

well, as I said other times, the move to GTK+ objects to GLib seems
straightforward, so the solution here is to add checks to configure
about the GLib version being used, and add appropriate #ifdef's in the
code (mainly only to replace the gtk_object_* calls).

So, if you want to have a try at this, it will be wonderful.

The other thing remaining is the GNOME::GenericFactory interface, which
must be replace by the OAF's ObjectFactory. I'm working also on this, so
it will be done very soon.

And I think there are no more things to do.

> BTW: I will update the Quick Hacker's Guide for 0.1.0 and send you
> soon. Did you already change something (or have something in mind
> that should be changed) so let me know.

I haven't done anything, so it would be great if you try to merge it
with the current docs (libgda/doc/C/libgda.sgml).

cheers