Multiple Database conections, was Re: Inventory class proposal

From: Georg Lehner
Subject: Multiple Database conections, was Re: Inventory class proposal
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 22:57:49 -0600

Hello Andrew!

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 01:03:41AM +1300, Andrew Hill wrote:
> > In our quite simple environment we are planning to have three to four
> > different computers acting as database servers with different roles
> Is this the same database engine or different databases engines?.
> (ie talking to the same database back end or having to talk to multiple
> database backends).  Or is it simply having the same database engine but
> multiple databases in there?.  Supporting muiltple database engines will

On all three computers we use a PostgreSQL server, so I suppose it
would be the same database backend, but connecting to different
servers.

> break the current design and API a lot and would require a lot of work.
> CORBA
> can give a lot of flexiablity of distrubting the app over serveral
> servers.

How? Do I have to learn CORBA to make a distributed application or can
I use the .cld language.

> I'm starting to form an idea of how to do it. But this is stuff that
> won't
> be in till at least v0.2 i'd say, unless someone else wants to do it
> which i really would appreciate.

By now we also can use one server, so waiting for a later release
would not harm.

Best regards,

        Jorge-León