Re: wiki [Was Re: The trick to build PySablot and an updated SuSE-GNUe-H

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: wiki [Was Re: The trick to build PySablot and an updated SuSE-GNUe-HOWTO]
Date: 19 Oct 2002 12:08:03 -0700

On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 10:07, Jason Cater wrote:
> I know that some don't like the idea of a GNUe wiki, but I'd like us to
> consider it again. Someone mentioned they didn't like the idea of doing
> docs in wiki at the expense of some traditional format.

I like Wiki.  I just dont want to spread us too thin (core team).  User
contributed docs via Wiki is great.  However, I dont think its a
palatable substitution for real documentation. How-to's and the likes
that users are compiling make for good wiki content.

> However, this is exactly why wikis would be sooo useful --
> user-contributed howto's, notes, samples, etc. Our users are a wealth of
> information. Especially when it comes to installation. Most of the core
> developers are Debian-biased, so it's hard for us to document the steps
> for other *nixes.

Thats fine, but I dont think a 'developers guide' or 'user
documentation' is necessarily a good idea to use Wiki.  I dont see wiki
as a 'discussion' replacement to irc or mailing lists either.  It might
be a good place to do FAQ's and HOW-TOs and such though.

> Either way, let's at least get these user contributed HOW-TOs up on the
> web somewhere. I was looking for the RedHat-HOWTO last week, but could not
> find it anywhere.

It was on the web page in the doc section and I recieved the SuSE one as
well and was going to post it.  Maybe our web site just needs an easier
way to upload 'user contributed' documentation?

--
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise

Was I helpful?  Let others know: