Re: Can someone explain how sales tax works in the US.

From: Stanley A. Klein
Subject: Re: Can someone explain how sales tax works in the US.
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:01:44

Some of what you say here is a bit of a rant, and I don't agree with parts
of it.  For example I disagree that city and county boundaries are
gerrymandered.  Perhaps in rare occasions, but I think counties were
generally sized so someone could get to the county seat, conduct business
there, and get back home in the same day on horseback.  County boundaries
are usually some natural feature such as a river.  The boundary of
Montgomery County was set in the late 1700's.  Cities are established by
incorporation and usually grow by annexation, which in Maryland requires
that the affected property owners petition the city to be brought in.  A
property owner can usually only be forced into a city here if not doing so
would create an enclave (an island of property surrounded by the city).

On the issue of common definitions in local taxation (particularly sales
taxes) this is an issue that has been around for many years but only became
important because of the Internet.  Most sales taxes are accompanied by
"use" taxes, i.e., if you buy something out-of-state and bring it into the
state to use, you are supposed to submit a return and pay tax at the same
rate as the sales tax.  Generally it gets to be a big issue when the item
is something like furniture or expensive equipment.

Forty or fifty years ago, this only applied to small, mail-order companies
that sold niche products by catalog or magazine advertisement.  Sears,
Wards, and Penneys sold by catalogs, but also had brick-and-mortar
presence, so they collected the sales tax on each order.  At some point the
Supreme Court decided that there had to be a nexus (e.g., a physical
presence) to require the seller to collect the tax, and that's where things
stood until the Internet came along.

The Internet and e-commerce have created what is essentially an enormous
number of catalog merchants.  States and localities have begun to notice
the drop in sales-tax revenue from their brick-and-mortar merchants, and
have also begun to notice the unfairness of treating out-of-state catalog
merchants preferentially over their local brick-and-mortar merchants.  They
have begun to raise issues in the courts and Congress about requiring the
out-of-state merchants to collect the taxes they have had on their books
for many years.

A few years ago, we discussed this issue in the IEEE-USA Committee on
Communications and Information Policy.  At that time I suggested that it
should be possible to create a simplified collection of data that could be
used by catalog merchants for collecting state sales/use taxes.  It would
be developed by looking at all the variations and identifying a reasonably
small set of parameters that could describe the rates and taxability
conditions.  Each state would be able to establish a small number of (not
necessarily contiguous) districts that would share the same parameters.
This could reduce the number of variations to perhaps a few hundred, which
is manageable for computing purposes.  If a state wanted to participate and
have its use taxes collected, it would have to modify its sales/use tax
structure to comply with the standard.

At the time I made the suggestion, I was told that there was a proposal
similar to what I had described either being discussed by some kind of
commission or being proposed for consideration by some official body.  I
haven't heard anything about it since, but it would be reasonable to expect
something along those lines to be brought up again, given that many states
are in bad fiscal shape right now, and most states and localities are
required to have balanced operating budgets.  (They can usually borrow only
for their capital budgets and often need to have their bonds approved by
referendum.)

BTW, I think you could get a lot of expertise together if each state
comptroller sent a senior staff member to a meeting.  Congress would need
to be involved because of the interstate commerce aspects, but sales tax
details are a state issue and it's the states that would have to compromise
out their individual ideosyncrasies to get a usable standard.

Stan Klein