cross tables in reports?

From: Sebastian . Brosig
Subject: cross tables in reports?
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:21:41 +0000

This _may_ be off-topic but I rather hope it isn't.

And it's got nothing to do with taxation.

Can gnue reports, or any other Free database tool for that matter, create
crosstables, i.e. what <spit> excel <spit> calls pivot tables, (yes i know
the OOo spreadsheet has the "Data Pilot" which is OpenOffice's answer to
pivot tables but it's a point-and-click interactive tool and not a
database).

For the uninitiated, and probably completely needlessly, I give an example:

suppose I have a table in my db

amount   |key1   |key2   |
==========================
10       |one    |un     |
12       |two    |deux   |
13       |one    |deux   |
14       |two    |un     |

and I want a view (or a report in gnue preferably) like this

\  key1|one |two |
  \    |    |    |
key2\  |    |    |
======\===========
un     |10  |14  |
deux   |13  |12  |

at this moment I use an expensive program called Crystal Reports for these
things but I am always on the lookout for superior (i.e. Free) solutions

seb

|Sebastian Brosig         |  address@hidden |
|Data Analyst             |                             |
|Novas-Ouvertures         |  http://www.novas.org       |
|Tel. 0870 901 9716       |                             |
|Fax 0151 709 5200        |                             |