Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:35:19 -0700 (MST)

David Sugar said:
> I did not specifically suggest this event should be "boycotted" or that
> I have  called for any form of "boycott", so please do not imply this; I
> mealy stated  that I chose to not attend it.  However, I tend to think
> people of conscious  will likely make the same choice and certainly
> people are free to make up  their own minds.

I worded myself poorly.  Two clarifications.

1. I do not necessarily believe events calling things Open Source should
be avoided like the plague.  I think the benefit vs harm needs to be
weighed on a case by case basis.  This particular event my gripe is that
they are lumping "shared source" into the "open source" category, which is
extremely damaging.

2. I accidently through poor choice of words, implied that David was
boycotting this event.  When what I should have made clear was that David
was making a good choice by avoiding this event (imho), but that I would
recommend that GNUe as a whole boycott (avoid) it.

-Derek