Re: [GNUe] The usual newbie licensing question...

From: Jason Cater
Subject: Re: [GNUe] The usual newbie licensing question...
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:22:06 -0500

Wolfgang,

As always, it would always be best to consult your lawyer to be on the safe
side.

However, having given that disclaimer, the general consensus of the GNUe
developers is that files that are input into the GNUe tools (i.e., GFD, GRD,
etc, files) do not have to fall under the GPL. We consider these types of
files to be open standards.

If you, however, extend/patch the GNUe code base, or use the GNUe Common
library to write your own application, then this code would be subject to the
GPL.  Of course, if you do patch the GNUe code base, we would hope you would
share that code with us anyways as it benefits everyone and there would be no
advantage to your company of keeping these patches in-house.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

----
Jason Cater