Re: [GNUe] forms: web front end (XUL, ajax, javascript...) ?

From: Malek Hadj-Ali
Subject: Re: [GNUe] forms: web front end (XUL, ajax, javascript...) ?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:36:44 +0200

Hi,

i'm trying to build a xul/xforms client for GNUe AppServer.

i tried a lot of things (from javascript only to python only), which
took a huge amount of time (xul and friends suffering from the same
disease as GNUe, i.e. lack of doc).

At this stage, i'm confident that building a xul client for GNUe is
possible (i'd even say it's the way to go) and it seems that going the
pyxpcom/pydom way is worth the hassle. And on top of that the xforms
extensions for xul seems to be in testing shape now (appserver/xforms
enabled, woot, woot!!!). But on the downside, xul is far from being
ready on a lot points (all these points could be the object of an other
mail).

But, i'm stuck on two points: performance and the way appserver
want to handle its own modules.

perfs: appserver/common performances are plain horrible, atm, and
that's really frustrating. If you have to handle lots of data, be
prepared for some waiting. To have a reference point I built, last
week, the fastest python rpc server i could. this server is not
functionnaly comparable to appserver, but it tries to mimic its
behaviour, and it's around 1500 to 2000 times faster than appserver, so
i'd say there's room for improvement in GNUe (at appserver/rpc
stage, but more importantly at common stage)

modules: the more i try to implement test modules, the more i feel the
actual system isn't the way to go. Please, don't misunderstand me, the
actual modules/classes system is clever, elegant and simple (which
should be enough to satisfy anybody), but there is no alternative, and
as soon as you have to implement something that doesn't fit the model,
you're stuck with hacking around... that's not good.
one thing that could help though would be to have modules procedures (or
even global ones).

Bottom line, GNUe is still at beta stage, xul and friends also. So
you're in for a lot of work if you want this to work, but it's fun :).

lekma

PS: don't take this mail as a rant, those of you who hang on the gnue
irc channel know that i can get frustrated sometimes, but hey... i'm
still here :)

PS2: my mail seems to jump from one subject (XUL) to another (GNUe)
without any obvious link. here it is: as it happens, i really believe
that you can make the best ui you can, it's worthless if your app is
slow and difficult to use.

PS3: i welcome idea, code sample, discussion, and i can provide all of
them (i wish i had a place to host what i'm doing right now)