Re: [gnugo-devel] arend_1_22.2: tuning, regression test, --experimental-

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] arend_1_22.2: tuning, regression test, --experimental-influence
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:01:45 +0100

Arend wrote:
> - experimental_influence configure and command line option added (unused)

Do you have any clear plans yet for how to approach this?

> +Pattern CC83
> +# ab added (3.1.22)
> +
> +..o
> +O*.
> +oXO
> +
> +:8,C
> +
> +..o
> +O*a
> +oBO
> +
> +;oplay_attack_either(*,a,a,B)

This pattern is a strict subset of Conn311 in patterns2.db and should
have no effect whatsoever.

>  Pattern Shape66
>  # db increased negative shape (3.1.7)
> +# ab two ??? lines added as jump is often good on 3rd line
> +# (seen in many joseki, advertised as "struggle to get ahead" in
> +# Lessons in the Fundamentals)
>
>  xX.         often bad to leave a gap
>  O.*
> +???
> +???

The struggle to get ahead can happen anywhere on the board, so the
main question should be how significant weakness the gap is. Some
constraint based on moyo/area and the number of liberties of the O
stone might be useful for a rough heuristic.

>  Pattern Sente16
>  # gf New pattern. (3.1.14)
> +# The constraint is unprecise, but I don't know how to correct it.
> +# (would need !xplay_defend_both ( *, a, X defends against atari,
> +# O passes, b,    a, c). -ab

The constraint "language" is too weak for this construction. Currently
the only way to solve this is to handwrite a helper. I recently
implemented connect_and_cut_helper(), which does exactly what you
want, except that * already is assumed to have been played. It may be
possible to generalize this helper but it may in turn require some
modifications of mkpat.c.

/Gunnar