Re: [gnugo-devel] Semeai stuff

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Semeai stuff
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:27:06 +0100

Dan wrote:
> > This is totally out of place for the pass and owl_phase conditions. If
> > they should be tested in the macro they must be provided through an
> > argument. As written here the READ_RETURN_SEMEAI macro can't be reused
> > elsewhere and if we ever want to change the pass and owl_phase logic
> > we are extremely unlikely to remember to look in cache.h until we have
> > spent several hours on debugging.
>
> You'd find out as soon as you tried to compile in another function
> because the variable owl_phase would be undefined.

That is exactly what I mean with "can't be reused elsewhere". The
potential debug nightmare scenario could occur e.g. if we decided to
use Arend's suggestion to cache both with and without owl_phase but
missed to make the revision in the macro. The compiler won't help us
in that case.

> But this example is still worth looking at.  The small semeai
> in question is in the upper left corner, nowhere near S10.
> The status of S10 (worm, dragon, matcher ...) is not changed
> by the patch. But suddenly GNU Go thinks saving S10 tactically
> is worth 9 points.

Is there by any chance a ko involved?

/Gunnar