[gnugo-devel] level 11/12? (was: Three stone games)

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: [gnugo-devel] level 11/12? (was: Three stone games)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 08:00:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Daniel Bump wrote:

> > I'd even wonder whether we should offer new levels 11 and 12 or so, that
> > could e.g. be running with --owl-threats.
>
> I like this idea.

I have run two 20 games matches with GNU Go plain vs GNU Go --owl-threats.
The plain version won 25 out of 40. So this does not look very encouraging,
although of course 40 games are not enough to decide for sure.

Also, --owl-threats might be more useful against humans or other programs;
we have seen GNU Go loose or abandon a lot of groups lately, which is of
course not so much a problem in games vs itself. So maybe the match was
not so meaningful at all.

The time penalty for --owl-threats was around 40%.

I am not sure what conclusion to draw from this. Btw, regardless whether
--owl-threats is an improvement at the moment (which I am still inclined
to believe), I am convinced that it can be made both more useful and time
efficient with some changes. But that's for post-3.2 of course.

Arend

White: 3.1.29 --owl-threats
Black: 3.1.29 plain

RE[B+34.5]