Re: [gnugo-devel] level 11/12? (was: Three stone games)

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] level 11/12? (was: Three stone games)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:19:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Daniel Bump wrote:

> > I would suggest to decrease the depth values by 2 and divide the owl
> > node limit by some number (3-4) for owl_threaten_attack/defense.
>
> What's your rationale?

(a) Of course: to save time.
(b) If attacker gets 2 moves in a row and _still_ needs the full
    owl_reading_depth to kill, then I don't see that it makes sense to
    change the dragon status. I'd at least suggest to reduce the depth
    values by 1. (This means attacker gets as many moves as in the usual
    owl computation to kill, instead of possibly getting an additional
    move.)

> Do you mean in the stable release or do you mean for testing purposes?
>
> We still compute owl threats for thrashing dragons. What you propose
> would make the results of the computation less reliable.

I am not sure how dangerous this change might be. Hmm yes, for thrashing
dragons I would prefer to stay on the safe side, too.