Re: [gnugo-devel] Another serious bugfix

From: Dave Denholm
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Another serious bugfix
Date: 04 Apr 2002 15:24:26 +0100

Daniel Bump <address@hidden> writes:

> > I was going to suggest a run with purify, if anyone has it. (I used to
> > have access at my previous company, but I don't know if there's
> > a copy here.)

Ah - found one (for NT)

> What about Electric Fence?

Electric Fence isn't quite the same : IIRC, it arranges for
malloc-ed blocks to either end (default) or start at a page boundary, with
the adjacent page mapped out. So it detects accesses past malloc-ed blocks,
and can detect accesses after free. But it doesn't do all the stuff that
purify does (any access to uninitialised memory, whether auto, static or
heap.

(EF may have moved on since I last looked at it, though...)

I think BoundsChecker is similar to purify, but I've never used it.

> Teun had some methodology for finding out of bounds errors. There
> is a message about that in the list somewhere though so far I haven't
> been able to find it.

Was it the dec c compiler ?

dd
--