[gnugo-devel] Another serious bugfix

From: Teun Burgers
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Another serious bugfix
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:53:04 +0200

Gunnar wrote:

Hi,

I am back from my transatlantic crossing.

> This patch fixes an indexing out of bounds bug. Usually this is
> harmless in practice, but at least on some architectures (in this case
> Alpha) it can cause a crash. The patch also adds a relevant assertion.

if you mean Tru64 unix with alpha, array bound checking is available
there through Tru64's cc. Configure as follows (Arend found this in the
archive):

env CC=cc CFLAGS='-g3 -O2 -check_bounds'

or

env CC=cc CFLAGS='-g -check_bounds'

The latter executable is easier if you want to debug (no symbols
optimised away)
The speed penalty is acceptable ( factor 2-3 is my estimate)

I run the regressions with boundschecking on a regular basis. Before
leaving
I started a run with 3.1.27 with boundschecking for all test suites for
all 8 orientations.
This run did not reveal any arraybound violations.

Teun