Re: [gnugo-devel] experimental_reading_1_33.1

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] experimental_reading_1_33.1
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 07:00:04 -0700

> I'm not entirely sure, but I had the impression that the pattern based
> reading code and the tree based pattern matching code could be used
> independently. The problem was only with the latter, but on the other
> hand I think neither is ready for prime time, so excluding both of
> them from 3.2 is no big loss.

My methodology involved commenting out (contingent on
EXPERIMENTAL_READING) the offending parts, then using errors
and warnings to track down other things I needed to comment
out. In any case, if you configure --enable-experimental-reading,
you get an engine identical to before the patch.

To go further we could prevent the files patterns/read_[attack|defend].c
from being built by default but this would require some more work.

Arend at one point commented that the tree based reading was
very similar to the DFA, the principal difference being that
symmetric patterns are built into the tree, and Tanguy and
Trevor seemed to agree with this remark. So (it was suggested)
possibly the tree and dfa could be unified by giving the dfa
an option not to condense symmetric patterns. This would make
the dfa bigger but faster.

Did you confirm that this patch works for Alpha?

Dan