Re: [gnugo-devel] regress.plx

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] regress.plx
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 11:53:09 -0400

At 07:21 AM 5/1/2002 -0700, Daniel Bump wrote:

>> The following patches removes these (innocuous) warnings.
>>   http://www.public32.com/games/go/trevor_3_2.2
>>
>> (never used trevor_3_2.1)
>>
>> You'll want to set up regress.plx as a cgi program.
>
>Why is regress.plx designed to be run as a cgi program?
>
>As far as I know CGI is used for things like access counters
>where html is produced on the fly.
>
>When I access http://www.public32.com/regress/ is there
>a CGI engine running in the background? I imagined that
>the html was produced ahead of time and just sitting
>in a directory. Is this wrong?

Yes, the CGI is running in the background.

This is even covered the documentation in the section "HTML Regression Views".

Briefly:
  regress.pl : captures the regression output into XML format.
  regress.plx: generates various slices of the data in HTML, based on the query
string.

It's worthwhile having the CGI program, because there are lots of different
slices of the data.  For example, you can click on any intersection, and
see relevant trace output for that stone.  Creating the HTML statically also
makes running it locally less appealing.  There are a number of useful
command options to regress.pl to have it re-run a certain subset of cases
that you may be interested in.  I'll document that in a future documentation
revision.

>The regression html views are an important tool which it's
>easy to get dependent on. Last month I felt slightly
>hampered during the tuning of nngs1 because not all the
>tests were on your web page, which was not current
>then. (Currently, the new handtalk tests are not there.)

Glad that you've gotten dependent on it.  Sorry that I hampered you.
Wish you'd have let me know.

>I'd like to be able to generate html locally to view
>with netscape when the page at public32 is not up to date.

Yes, you should definitely be able to run it locally.  You're really very close.
If you'd like, I can set up public32 to update every day or two - it shouldn't
be
too difficult.  Let me know.

-Trevor