[gnugo-devel] newsgroups for gnugo-devel - a good idea?

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: [gnugo-devel] newsgroups for gnugo-devel - a good idea?
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 19:29:47 +0200 (CEST)

> Teun wrote:
>
> > > Wouldn't it be nice to have a news interface to gnugo-devel?
> > >
> > > The relatively new http://gmane.org/ offers the possibility
> > > to add a news interface to the existing mailman archive.
>
> Some of the GNU lists are usenet newsgroups in the gnu.* hierarchy.
> See http://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html#TOCMailLists.
>
> I'm not sure I believe the advantage. Much of what goes on in usenet
> newsgroups has a high noise to signal ratio, rec.games.go and
> gnu.misc.discuss cases in point.
>
> > Oops, I see the GnuGo lists are already there...

Personally, I don't like the idea at all that this mailing list is
now duplicated at this news server. The minor problem that I now get
every message from Teun twice will probably go away once he doesn't post
to the mailing list and the news interface both at a time anymore.

What annoys me more is that the mailman archive deliberately hides the
e-mail-adresses, while they do not do that at gmane. I find it highly
more likely for a spam bot to scan a news server than to subscribe to a
mailing list, and I am already getting more than enough spam via another
e-mail address that was put on a web site.

I would be all in favor of immediately removing the gnugo-devel list
from there. Those who want to read the discussion going on here can
subscribe to the list, use a threading mail program + mail filtering and
have approximately the same convenience in following the threads.