Re: [gnugo-devel] newsgroups for gnugo-devel - a good idea?

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] newsgroups for gnugo-devel - a good idea?
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 10:43:53 -0700

> What annoys me more is that the mailman archive deliberately hides the
> e-mail-adresses, while they do not do that at gmane. I find it highly
> more likely for a spam bot to scan a news server than to subscribe to a
> mailing list, and I am already getting more than enough spam via another
> e-mail address that was put on a web site.
>
> I would be all in favor of immediately removing the gnugo-devel list
> from there. Those who want to read the discussion going on here can
> subscribe to the list, use a threading mail program + mail filtering and
> have approximately the same convenience in following the threads.

Another thing is that not all news servers carry all lists. I think
Stanford does not carry the gmane lists. If we really want a usenet
gateway the right way to do it is through the gnu domain. But there
is no reason that I can see that we need a usenet gateway.

Yes, there are spiders that are actively harvesting e-mail addresses
from usenet newsgroups for spammers to use. I get a depressing amount
of spam, and another depressing amount is sent to address@hidden,
deleted by myself and Gunnar.

Dan