[gnugo-devel] Regression script helper

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Regression script helper
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:35:07 -0400

Arend said:

>I think the main work is not so much colllecting moves where the two
>versions differ (note that this can also be done with
>"gnugo --experimental-connections -l x.sgf --replay white" where x.sgf
>is a game played by the "stable" gnugo), but to generate good, useful
>regression tests from them.
>
>I've already considered writing a script that shows the position (e.g.
>using gnugo and showboard), the two moves found, asks the user for a
>list of correct moves (or lets him decide to skip that position) and then
>automatically generates regression test file (or a patch adding the new
>tests + new .sgf-files in their right places in CVS...)  This would
>make generating these tests much more convenient.

Yes, yes!

I'd love to be able to visit Gunnar's game page, click on a link, view
the game, move by move (through the browser), note which moves
are bad, and have a tst file be generated.

If GNU Go loses on NNGS, it could ask the winner to comment on
the game, directing them to a URL.  I bet we would get a lot of useful
test cases this way.  I imagine drop-downs offering options like,
"life & death mistake", "terrible move", etc.  With a URL like this,
I bet lazarus, and many others, would be happy to provide us with
a bunch of test files right away.  Of course, these tests wouldn't be
added to the regression suite.

Thoughts?

-Trevor