Re: [gnugo-devel] engine/influence.c (and DFA)

From: Dave Denholm
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] engine/influence.c (and DFA)
Date: 04 Sep 2002 10:37:57 +0100

Dave Denholm <address@hidden> writes:

> Gunnar Farneback <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Dave wrote:
> > >    I was just having a look at influence.c, since that is where the
> > > profile shows the most time being spent.
> >
> > On what platform and what exactly did you run? I just did a profile on
> > an AMD Athlon running neurogo.tst and then the influence code doesn't
> > take much time. There the pattern matching is in the top.
>

> Hmm - well, it was the latest tar file available (3.3.6 I think) ,
> on a pentium III (portable), probably running   ./gnugo -b 500
> or something like that.
>
> I'll run it again at home (I'm at work right now) and mail the result
> I got.

Sorry, didn't get a chance to dial in last night.

accumulate_influence was 60 seconds, and scan_for_patterns() was
52 seconds. do_push_owl() or something like that was a close third,
then other functions were further behind.

I wonder if influence is more costly early in the game, when it
has to propagage a long way through an empty board and there aren't
so many patterns. But then later in the game, influence becomes less important,
and patterns more so..?

dd
--
address@hidden          http://www.insignia.com