Re: [gnugo-devel] gui interfaces for load, switch, etc.

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gui interfaces for load, switch, etc.
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 12:26:46 -0700

> The ascii interface provides very useful commands to load an exisiting
> game and play on, to switch colors, force moves, etc.
>
> I'd like to do those things via a graphical interface, both for
> ordinary use and to more easily work on gnugo.  I see some talk of gtp
> clients like gogui & GoThic, and also work on jugo, but not
> much in the way of documentation (yeah, I know, use the source....).
> I'm wondering if they can do these things, or if there is something
> else I'm missing.  E.g. can common GMP clients do any of these things?
> Are there versions of the GMP which allow them?

The GMP is less flexible than GTP. For example there is NO
provision for negotiating komi with the GMP.

All of the things you mention for the ascii interface could be
implemented in a GTP client. So we'd recommend GTP support. Of
course there is no reason a client could not support both GTP
and GMP, and you can make a case that a really full featured
client should support both since GMP is still the standard in
computer tournaments.

Apart from that, anyone wanting to work on a client would have
a couple of decisions to make. Which language and toolset is the
first, and second, whether to start a new project or to hack an
existing one.

Marcus Enzenberger's Gogui looked quite promising.

Someone should hack gtp support into CGoban.

Daniel Bump