Re: [gnugo-devel] a patch from a newbie :)

From: Portela Fernand
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] a patch from a newbie :)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:40:10 +0200

Arend wrote:

> I think it is absolutely correct to address this as an owl problem.
> If we want to do anything useful with connection handling we will have
> to find such a way to value loosing tails.

Ack.

> I only looked at the patch briefly, will look at it in more detail later.
> It seems to me that for the move valuation, you treat defending a dragon
> that is attackable with code HALFWIN as it would be as valuable as
> defending the whole dragon:
> gnugo -l games/blunder10.sgf -L 2 -t
> Top moves:
> 1. D4  39.03
>
> Of course, D4 is only worth ~15 points here. This will cause problems
> in other situations, where it is better to tenuki here to grab a 35
> points play elsewhere -- iow, we need to add some code in the move
> valuation to handle this.

If no important conceptual objections against this patch arise, I will
work on it.

There are other problems as well. For instance, the current ordering
of the codes imply that a good ko is better than eating a tail and
that sacrificing a tail (for surviving) better than a bad ko. This might
depend on a lot of factors : ko threats availability and sizes, sizes of
the tails, etc.

> P.S.: Btw, thanks a lot for changing all the "3 - acode" stuff -- that
> should have been done for consistency a while ago.

Welcome :)
I thought about changing the 0's to LOSE... err... better forget it ;)

> Probably we should use the REVERSE_RESULT macro here all the time,
> which should be moved from cache.h to a more prominent place in
> liberty.h.

I missed that macro (I haven't that much experience with the source code)
I'll do the changes later if nobody else has done before.

/nando