Re: [gnugo-devel] autolevel bug

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] autolevel bug
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 06:34:53 -0700

Evan wrote:

> OK, I think I found the bug.  This should fix it, but it's untested.

I'm not convinced this patch is right. After the patch, the code looks
like this:

  if (clk.level > CLOCK_CONTRACT_MIN_LEVEL) {
    if ((predicted_tm - clk.error) > expected_tm)
      clk.level -= CLOCK_STEP;
  } else {
  if ((predicted_tm + clk.error) < expected_tm)
    clk.level += CLOCK_STEP;
  }

This means that (at least as far as respect_time_contract is
concerned) the only circumstance where the clock level will be
increased is if it's already less than or equal to
CLOCK_CONTRACT_MIN_LEVEL. Thus it can never be increased above
level 6. This is clearly not Tanguy's intention.  The clock is
supposed to be increased if the time crunch disappears.

There are actually two functions, respect_time_contract()
and keep_ahead() where the clk.level can get increased so it's
possible that I'm wrong but if so can you explain how this is
supposed to work?

Evan's original post:

> I talked to someone at a local Go club, and he asked me to pass along a
> bug report with the autoleveling.  He tried compiling 3.2 for his Zaurus,
> and discovered that sometimes the sutoleveling increases the level even
> though it's running out of time.  He believes this happens mostly when the
> variation in time taken exceeds the time remaining, and that somehow this
> makes it increase the level and lose on time.

Dan