Re: [gnugo-devel] Hoshi Josekis

From: Heikki Levanto
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Hoshi Josekis
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:11:22 +0100

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 02:20:35AM +0200, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:

> while looking through the games, i noticed that gnugo plays this joseki
> far too often:

> |...X........
> |.....X......
> |...X.XO.....
> |...XOO...O..
> -------------
>
> besides, on nngs i saw many times that gnugo (as black) places the last
> (6-4) stone even when white doesn't drop 3-10. this is often very slow.
> maybe someone who knows josekis well can do something about it? e.g. if
> white tries to approach from top without having 3-10 in place, certainly
> there must be a way to punish her even without 6-4.

> |...b........
> |.....X......
> |...X.XO.....
> |...XOO.a.c..
> -------------

As far as I remember Ishida's joseki book, the 6-4 stone (X at b) is only
required if white plays the previous move at 3-8 (connecting at a). If white
b, black should extend much further too, about the 10th line. The reason is
that black can cut next to a, sacrifice two stones there, and build a solid
wall, after which the stone at b is far too close.

(Used to be the only joseki I know - have since forgotten some
variations...)

-H

--
Heikki Levanto  LSD - Levanto Software Development   <address@hidden>