Re: [gnugo-devel] Hoshi Josekis

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Hoshi Josekis
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:56:06 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Gunnar Farneback wrote:

> Evan wrote:
> > Do we want to start make regression tests for josekis? I think
> > creating a new file joseki.tst and collecting tests about correct
> > joseki play and choices would be a good idea.
>
> It should be possible to automatically generate joseki test cases from
> the joseki database files. An interesting experiment would be to run
> this with the --nojosekidb option to see how many joseki moves the
> engine comes up with without the joseki database.

That would be interesting to try...  I've seen it produce some in games, I
think.  Also, I think for moves that it can reliably produce on its own,
it might make sense to devalue the joseki pattern, simply because the
constraints we currently put on them tend to be simplistic.  Also,
specifically programming individual pieces of knowledge tends to be a bad
way to teach computers.

Evan Daniel