Re: [gnugo-devel] EJ45

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] EJ45
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 03:19:53 -0500 (EST)

The issue is that as written, the pattern matches in nngs4:450.  The
position is:

|.*..X
|.XOOX
|..XXO

The two stones are in trouble, and globally should probably be sacrificed.
A play at *, where EJ45 matches, is absolutely awful.  One option is to
simply make it not match at the edge;  however, edge blocks like that can
be valuable.  Maybe it should be a separate pattern?

I assume the original intent of the pattern was to preserve center
influence against an opponent hane; there should be a constraint to make
sure this is what is happening.  Would an omoyo() constraint work?  I
don't know the influence code workings very well.

Anyway, what I settled on was the constraint I gave, that made sure the
play was reasonable tactically.  Maybe widening the pattern makes it
unneeded, but I think not having some sort of constraint there is risky.

Thanks

Evan Daniel