Re: [gnugo-devel] do some work for gnugo

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] do some work for gnugo
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:52:56 -0500 (EST)

There is a todo list on the devel page that you can look at.

I started some work a while ago on one of the items, automatically
recognizing when a group goes from alive to dead without being critical
first, but that could use more work.  I modified the twogtp perl script
to detect this, but more could be done with that.  Also useful would be a
debug mode in the program to output such transitions while it is playing
normally.

Other smaller ideas:

Owl move ordering probably could use some tuning.  Currently this ordering
is done in a fairly static fashion; writing an order_owl_moves function
much like the tactical code has might help significantly.  Also, the owl
code could probably get sizeable improvements from things like the history
heuristic and killer heuristic.

The endgame needs work.  Unfortunately, we don't have the best test
suites, but I'm working on that slowly.

For things that don't involve much coding, tuning the pattern databases
can be interesting.  And the test suites are always in need of
extending...

I don't think anyone is working on these specifically, but I could be
wrong.

Hope this helps

Evan Daniel