Re: [gnugo-devel] look at regress file

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] look at regress file
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:32:03 -0500 (EST)

Given the classification of the problem as OWL_TUNING, and the fact that
the life of the white group is in question, the problem is that Gnu Go
needs to see L9 as an owl attack move.  Presumably it doesn't currently.
My guess is that this problem is actually very hard for Gnu Go.  The
reason that w must play L9 is that it is sente for life and expands the
eyespace; the reason it is sente is that it threatens to attack the black
group on the side.  Getting the owl code to see all this may be rather
difficult.  Currently, the owl code fails to find L9, and also fails to
see that L9 is a valid defense (owl_does_defend L9 J8 returns 0).  In
other words, the problem is more complex than it seems at first, I think.

Evan Daniel