Re: [gnugo-devel] about patchs for regress file 13x13b:8

From: kevin yong
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] about patchs for regress file 13x13b:8
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 12:01:57 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Evan:

  Regard 13x13:8. In a previous email, you suggested:

One solution might be to devalue ED66 from J to j, and
change ED67 to propose the move at F10, with a
suitable constraint that makes sure the move works.

  I made some changes as you suggested (but without
put any constraint on ED67):

Pattern ED66

?x?         draw back for safety
O.X
.*O
---

:8,Oj

?x?
OaB
.*O
---

; xplay_defend(*,a,*) && !xplay_attack(*,a,B)

Pattern ED67

?x?         draw back for safety
O*X
..O
---

:8,Oj

and run test, I got the result:

Top moves:
1. F10 16.44
2. F11 16.44
3. K1  2.19
..
Checking safety of a black move at F10
Move generation likes F10 with value 16.44
genmove() recommends F10 with value 16.44

my appinion is that: it is basically works, but may
need little more detailed tuning to make F10 has more
value than F11. Factualy, the territory gain of F10 is
only 1 point more than F11, without considering F10
can also connect G9 etc, because which are beyond the
scope of these 2 patterns.

I did read patterns.texi file several times, but I
still don’t think I have fully understand how the
whole pattern spec works yet. Eg. Pattern ED67, I
don’t know what constraints we should put on and how
to specify them.

Thank you for all your replies and like to hear more
suggestions from you.

Kevin.