Re: [gnugo-devel] XiStrat Go Variant

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] XiStrat Go Variant
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 15:14:19 -0500 (EST)

This looks like an interesting project, from an abstract AI standpoint.  I
don't know if you have a strong go engine as one of your goals; if so,
this looks like a particularly difficult way to go about it.

Since you seem to be taking a mathematical approach to the problem, I
would suggest you consider the Tromp-Taylor ruleset for Go; it's much
simpler than Japanese rules and has fewer exceptions.

If you wish to attempt a Go engine of any strength, I think you will find
you need a lot of Go-specific code.  If not, well, that would be very
interesting.  I suggest you consider implementing a GTP interface to the
Go code; if you do so, then you can put GNU Go's regresssion tests to use
as test cases, and also use the twogtp scripts to play games.  I currently
have an engine-side implementation of GTP in Java that is in large part
complete; if you're interested I could clean it up and release it under
the GPL.

Good luck with your project

Evan Daniel