[gnugo-devel] Non-passing Go?

From: Kenneth Owen Stanley
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Non-passing Go?
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:48:06 -0500 (CDT)

I have been using the GNUGo libraries inside of my own
machine learning application and training against
GNUGo.

For the purposes of training a machine learning algorithm
against GNUGo, it would be useful to be able to force
GNUGo to make the best move available even if it wants
to pass.  In other words, the game should be allowed to
play out even if GNUGo determines that it is effectively
over.  This is particularly a problem on small boards.
Is there an easy way to force GNUGo to place a piece in
the best available position without passing (perhaps
through making appropriate library calls)?

Unfortunately, calling

gnugo_genmove(move_i, move_j, WHITE);

results in many passes, sometimes even after black has
only placed one stone.

Thank you for any help,

ken