Re: [gnugo-devel] Non-passing Go?

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Non-passing Go?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:47:28 +0200

Dan wrote:
> Normally GNU Go will fill all liberties before passing.

I suppose you mean common liberties of living strings of different
color, i.e. dame.

> Try starting GNU Go with the parameter --play-out-aftermath,
> which sets the the global variable play_out_aftermath to 1.
> (Or add a library function that you can call from your
> engine to accomplish this.) Then genmove will generate moves
> to remove dead stones even if the game is really over.

This is not quite true. With --play-out-aftermath, GNU Go will play on
until all own stones are either invincible or dead, and all opponent
stones are either alive or (strongly) unconditionally dead. If you
wish to force actual removal of all dead opponent stones you should
use the --capture-all-dead option.

> > Unfortunately, calling
> >
> > gnugo_genmove(move_i, move_j, WHITE);
> >
> > results in many passes, sometimes even after black has
> > only placed one stone.
>
> This could mean that GNU thinks there is no way to live
> on the board. I don't think this should happen with board
> sizes >= 9. What board size are you using?

This is a different problem, indeed.

/Gunnar