Re: [gnugo-devel] Pattern updates

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Pattern updates
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 15:27:17 -0700

> I have gotten rid of the fail of arend:50 by modifying the pattern A1107.
> Also, according to gunnar's suggestion, I removed the pattern EJ61. For
> completeness I put all the patches below. The regression test result:

It seems to me that removing EJ61 is best left until after 3.4.
The reason is that GNU Go has historically had a problem with
making moves like a monkey jump or (in this case) hanetsuge
but omitting to play the followup after the opponent responds.

Gunnar believes that the pattern EJ61 is not needed but with
a stable release looming it seems safest to me to leave it
in. In practice it means that if GNU plays the hane then it
will play the connection after the opponent blocks but that
is nearly always what one wants to do.

Dan