Re: [gnugo-devel] Pattern updates

From: SP LEE
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Pattern updates
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 15:46:49 -0700

> It seems to me that removing EJ61 is best left until after 3.4.
> The reason is that GNU Go has historically had a problem with
> making moves like a monkey jump or (in this case) hanetsuge
> but omitting to play the followup after the opponent responds.
>
> Gunnar believes that the pattern EJ61 is not needed but with
> a stable release looming it seems safest to me to leave it
> in. In practice it means that if GNU plays the hane then it
> will play the connection after the opponent blocks but that
> is nearly always what one wants to do.
>
> Dan

I'm not sure leaving EJ61 there is more safe. In the case you posted earlier
(against 3.3.16), it happened to let a group dead. In practice more
posibilities exist for the connection, especially when the group is in critical
state. Without EJ61, I didn't found any regression breakage. If we keep EJ61,
should I add another pattern like EJ61b to make another kind of connection?

SP Lee