Re: [gnugo-devel] Weakness calculation

From: Inge Wallin
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Weakness calculation
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 06:21:10 -0400 (EDT)

Gunnar wrote:
> Inge wrote:
> > 2. Why is the moyo 8.0?  Intuitively, the moyo should be on the
> >    outside, i.e. not overlapping with the territory and eyes?.  In
> >    this case, it is also a bit strange that the weakness calculation
> >    takes into account the same points in both the eye value and the
> >    moyo value.
>
> Agreed. I also think it would be more useful to count eyespaces and
> moyo values separately. Historically this is not done for technical
> reasons. I'm unsure whether it would still be difficult to implement
> it.

When I think of it some more, maybe it is not so strange after all.
In the dragon2_data struct, we have the following two declarations:

  int moyo_size;                      /* size of surrounding influence moyo, */
  float moyo_territorial_value;       /* ...and its territorial value        */

Maybe we can get what we want by just saying that the moyo is defined
as moyo_size - moyo_territorial_value.  The inside and the outside is
also not always that well defined, especially not for a group in the
center.  What is strange, though is that moyo_size is an int.
Shouldn't that be a float as well?

          -Inge