Re: [gnugo-devel] Big match with breakin code

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Big match with breakin code
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 06:52:26 -0700

Arend wrote:

> The time penalty was a lot higher than in my tests, s.th. over 20%. This
> strongly suggests disabling the break-in code.
> I've also replayed a few games with the respective other version, and
> got typically 5 differing moves. This certainly is not worth the time
> costs.
> Of course, one might wonder whether the break-in code is less important in
> gnugo-vs-gnugo matches than usual. I am unconvinced of this.

Why don't we disable the break-in code for 3.3.23 and 3.4 but
re-enable it for 3.5.1.

Alternatively we could turn it on for level 11.

One point about the 5 differing moves is that this can
be enough to swing a game. Of course a single differing
move can swing a game, but my point is that in a typical
game the number of mistakes you would have to correct to
get a much better game is of about this order.

Dan