Re: [gnugo-devel] Level patch

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Level patch
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:00:17 +0000

Dan wrote:
> After such a change, level 9 will be the same as the current
> level 10 with just the breakin code turned off, in other
> words, the engine that ran strategy.tst in 253 seconds.
> I think we can claim that Level 9 is stronger and faster
> than GNU Go 3.2, and that Level 10 is stronger still and
> comparable in speed. I expect Level 9 is about 2 stones
> stronger than GNU Go 3.2 based on recent testing.

you can check this more precisely with twogtp.pike.  gnu go 3.2
doesn't support `cputime' gtp command, but the pike script also
reports wall move generation time (that is, real time, not cpu
time) and doesn't rely on engines in this respect (and you don't
need to supply any time control options - total time is always
calculated).  alternatively, you may hack `cputime' into 3.2.

note that for achieving reliable results with real time you need
to leave the box alone until the match is finished.  however, i
think that some 10 games match will be enough for a good estimation,
so that's not a major inconvenience.

Paul