[gnugo-devel] Gifu issues

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Gifu issues
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:36:33 +0200 (CEST)

1. I assume that the tournaments using GMP that gnugo has played so far
were done with cgoban. This is _not_ possible for Gifu because of their
specific requirements (specifying which color sends NEWGAME etc.) as far
as I can tell. Unless someone is willing to hack on cgoban which I find
unlikely.

2. Program gnugo to connect to a COM-port, and hardwire the changes they
need into gnugo. Either do this for Linux, or for Windows using their
CFGCOMM.DLL (which might be easier). This is doable, but would still
require someone to spend some significant time on that (plus testing
this is not that easy).

3. We tell them to use their GMP-board and gnugo in ascii mode,
handcopying the moves in both directions. Then we need to tell them what
to do if they make a mistake (wait until gnugo's move is finished, type
undo twice, and put in the correct move).

For no. 3 it is very important to test that --autolevel (if we want to
use it) doesn't go boom in case of undos.

I won't have time to do anything about this, as I will leave tomorrow
for 3 weeks.

Currently, I think no. 3 is the most likely thing to happen.

Apart from that, we need to decide on which level etc. to run gnugo once
we know the exact hardware gnugo will be running on.