Re: [gnugo-devel] Gifu issues

From: Hellwig Geisse
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Gifu issues
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:24:01 +0200 (CEST)

On 09-Jul-03 Gunnar Farneback wrote:
> Arend wrote:
>>
>> [..]
>>
>> 2. Program gnugo to connect to a COM-port, and hardwire the changes they
>> need into gnugo. Either do this for Linux, or for Windows using their
>> CFGCOMM.DLL (which might be easier). This is doable, but would still
>> require someone to spend some significant time on that (plus testing
>> this is not that easy).
>>
>> [..]
>
> If someone is willing to spend the time required for 2 I would instead
> suggest 4, which would be a lot more useful in the long run:
>
> 4. Program a bridge between GMP and GTP. I.e. in one end it talks GMP
> over a COM port with the GMP specifics used by Gifu and in the other
> end it starts a GNU Go process and talks GTP with it.
>
> [..]
>
> /Gunnar

I would like to try my skills on this one. I have already created
a very rough outline of such a bridge. You can look at it here:

http://hera.mni.fh-giessen.de/~hg53/gmp2gtp-0.0.tar.gz

There are of course important parts missing: the exact mapping of
GMP primitives onto GTP primitives and vice versa have not been
done yet.

My impression is that a lot of testing on different machines will
be necessary in order to cope with any installation-dependent
peculiarities which may arise on the machines in Japan. Is anyone
aware of the distribution they are using? (I shamelessly assumed
Linux as operating system of course, otherwise we will have a
problem ;-)

Hellwig