Re: [gnugo-devel] bugs report

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] bugs report
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:20:14 -0400

>>    There is no point in freeing blocks at the end of a program, because
>> all of the program's space is given back to the system when the process
>> terminates.
>
>Is this comment is specific to GCC or is it true for all
>compilers? (Pcibus is running VC++). If I understand correctly
>there is no need to call cfree for the owl stack and hash tables.
>
>Dan

This is more of an OS point than a compiler point.

Windows will reclaim the memory after the application finishes, just
as documented above.  None-the-less, most (all?) memory check
programs are going to point out the memory that you didn't free as
possible memory leaks.  For this reason alone, it might be worth
freeing the memory on application exit.