[gnugo-devel] some more tests

From: max-d
Subject: [gnugo-devel] some more tests
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:43:27 +0200

I made my UI capable to run auto matches between GTP and non GTP engines
Here are some results  i got running GnuGo vs Go++ and WinHonte.

1st test
--------

 gnugo3321 level 10
go++ level 5
during this test , time was not recorded but go++ needed a lot more .

= gnugo3321cvs =10
= GO++ =20

= gnugo3321cvs won:
2 (6)
3 (6)
4 (16)
6 (3)
16 (2)
19 (13)
22 (23)
24 (7)
26 (8)
28 (1)

= GO++ won:
1 (17)
5 (6)
7 (26)
8 (45)
9 (19)
10 (31)
11 (0)
12 (25)
13 (26)
14 (54)
15 (8)
17 (1)
18 (1)
20 (3)
21 (31)
23 (12)
25 (8)
27 (46)
29 (25)
30 (6)

2nd test
---------

65 games 3.3.21 (sometimes level 12 sometimes lv 13) vs go++ level 5

= gnugo3321cvs =18
GO++ lv5 =  47

= gnugo3321cvs won:
1 (4)
10 (17)
13 (13)
15 (26)
16 (10)
20 (10)
21 (31)
23 (5)
26 (6)
30 (15)
33 (10)
51 (6)
52 (33)
54 (17)
56 (3)
58 (2)
64 (6)
65 (3)

go++  won:
2 (2)
3 (14)
4 (24)
5 (14)
6 (31)
7 (34)
8 (33)
9 (25)
11 (33)
12 (42)
14 (32)
17 (29)
18 (34)
19 (0)
22 (41)
24 (20)
25 (22)
27 (21)
28 (14)
29 (2)
31 (18)
32 (12)
34 (9)
35 (4)
36 (20)
37 (23)
38 (10)
39 (14)
40 (10)
41 (31)
42 (37)
43 (13)
44 (23)
45 (46)
46 (7)
47 (31)
48 (9)
49 (18)
50 (12)
53 (28)
55 (10)
57 (57)
59 (36)
60 (0)
61 (11)
62 (19)
63 (8)

it happens that go++ level 5 takes a lot of  time during the yose part of
every game .
Often it had a large advance at the score at the end of middle game (times
being almost equal) , but despite that it still took a lot of time to finish
the game.(see below a game which can explain why go++ needs time in end
game)

in total go++ level 5 is often very slow in comparison with gnugo 3.3.21 lv
13.

3rd test (with a slower computer)
= gnugo3_3_16 level 10 = 3
= GO++ level 5 =18

= gnugo3_3_16 won:
12 (37)
15 (14)
20 (9)

= GO++ won:
1 (6)
2 (19)
3 (26)
4 (16)
5 (18)
6 (7)
7 (18)
8 (12)
9 (4)
10 (39)
11 (13)
13 (10)
14 (34)
16 (10)
17 (18)
18 (32)
19 (6)
21 (40)

time = gnugo3_3_16: 20469
time = GO++: 39973

4th test (3 in 1)
--------

All the gnugo playing level 10 , go ++ playing level 4

1- gnugo 3.0

= gnugo3.0= 1
= GO++ =8

= gnugo3.0 won:
3 (37)

= GO++ won:
1 (44)
2 (43)
4 (49)
5 (63)
6 (47)
7 (23)
8 (88)
9 (4)

time = gnugo3.0: 2009
time = GO++: 2644

-2 gnugo.3.2

= gnugo.3.2 =3
= GO++= 6

= gnugo.3.2 won:
2 (8)
3 (22)
9 (57)

= GO++ won:
1 (23)
4 (46)
5 (6)
6 (23)
7 (72)
8 (11)

time = gnugo.3.2: 2758
time = GO++: 2947

-3 gnugo.3.3.21
= gnugo3321cvs =12
= GO++ =13

= gnugo3321cvs won:
1 (7)
2 (27)
5 (26)
6 (28)
9 (10)
10 (3)
14 (1)
15 (34)
16 (76)
17 (154)
19 (30)
22 (2)

= GO++ won:
3 (4)
4 (24)
7 (8)
8 (23)
11 (16)
12 (29)
13 (97)
18 (17)
20 (13)
21 (24)
23 (6)
24 (47)
25 (46)

time = gnugo3321cvs: 8431
time = GO++: 7341

i think that it is the more fair time settings and i will run it again for
more games .

---------------

size 13

= gnugo3321cvs 3
= GO++ 2

= gnugo3321cvs won:
1 (16)
2 (11)
5 (1)

= GO++ won:
3 (27)
4 (14)

time = gnugo3321cvs: 312
time = GO++: 428

an example of huge blunder by go++ level 4 vs gnugo 3.2

Game 9.sgf
 --mode gtp --level 10 --boardsize 19 -M 8 --komi 5.5
Size 19
Black = gnugo.3.2 White = GO++
Level black = 10 Level white = 4
Time black = 272,9 Time white = 310,8
Score = = B+57.5 (upper bound: -57.5, lower: -57.5)
(
;B[pd]
;W[dq]
;B[pp]