Re: [gnugo-devel] gifu.zip

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gifu.zip
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:25:33 -0700

> Hi Dan,
>
> I have put --clock 2400 --byo-time 0 to the option, but I forgot
> --autolevel. Is it the default after I put some time limit? If not I'll
> modify the code and resend the zip file.
>
> SP Lee

You would need the --autolevel option.

There is something to be said for leaving the autolevel off
however. Since we have 40 minutes I think we are unlikely
to lose on time. I think a typical game time on any kind
of reasonable hardware uses no more than 15 minutes. Even
if GNU Go plays slowly in the middle game by the endgame
it is fast.

There is some danger that with the autolevel on GNU Go may
play at a lower level than necessary in the middle game and
make bad moves.

By having the options --clock 2400 and --byo-time 0 you
do get time reports but there is not automatic revision
of the level. Maybe this is as it should be.

I'm cc'ing the list in case there are other opinions
about whether we should use the autolevel at gifu.

Dan