Re: [gnugo-devel] gifu.zip

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gifu.zip
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:35:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 address@hidden wrote:

> There is something to be said for leaving the autolevel off
> however. Since we have 40 minutes I think we are unlikely
> to lose on time. I think a typical game time on any kind
> of reasonable hardware uses no more than 15 minutes. Even
> if GNU Go plays slowly in the middle game by the endgame
> it is fast.
>
> There is some danger that with the autolevel on GNU Go may
> play at a lower level than necessary in the middle game and
> make bad moves.
>
> By having the options --clock 2400 and --byo-time 0 you
> do get time reports but there is not automatic revision
> of the level. Maybe this is as it should be.
>
> I'm cc'ing the list in case there are other opinions
> about whether we should use the autolevel at gifu.

It might make sense to modify the autolevel code to only decrease the
level when it's really short on time, so that in the event of something
weird happening we don't lose on time.  There was a game played on KGS
without autolevel where gnugo lost on time because the opponent insisted
on playing out a broken ladder.  Shortly before it hit the ladder break,
gnugo lost on time because it was taking over a minute per move.  I think
in cases like this, it would be a Good Thing to drop the level, but I
agree that the current autolevel code would be too likely to drop it
unneccessarily.

Evan Daniel