[gnugo-devel] 10 games

From: david doshay
Subject: [gnugo-devel] 10 games
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:50:40 -0800

Here is the result of a 10 game sequence of Black = GNU Go 3.4 v.s White = our modifications of GNU Go 3.4 to add 4 parallel lookahead paths.

3 of the lookahead paths are the top 3 moves selected by GNU Go, the 4th is the top move selected by GNU Go if we were to pass and Black were to choose (unless this is an illegal move for white, in which case the 4th choice is the 4th highest move for white). We often choose to take "their" best move over our best move. In other words, we are testing the path suggested by the Go proverb "Your opponent's move is often your best move."

We then do an 8 move lookahead using GNU Go's first choice for each player. At the end of the 8 move lookahead we use get_influence to evaluate the board. We then do a normalized linear combination of the influence and the original move values to select between the 4 moves. We are still working on the way we combine the values, and there are some other issues involving using "their" best move that we are working out. For example, if their best move is a monkey jump, and we select the path the starts with our defense against the monkey jump, at present our code plays the same point black would have played. We are changing that right now.

Game 1: W+48.5
Game 2: W+14.5
Game 3: B+36.5
Game 4: W+11.5
Game 5: W+24.5
Game 6: B+16.5
Game 7: W+5.5
Game 8: W+21.5
Game 9: W+5.5
Game 10: B+0.5

I poked around for a while and did not find the default komi used in the above scoring.

We have the .sgf files of these games and a logfile containing the evaluation criteria, should anyone have more interest. We are still changing the details, so this set of 10 games will not really compare with future sets.

Cheers,
David