Re: [gnugo-devel] rand() % n

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] rand() % n
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 00:26:12 +0300

David G Doshay wrote:
> As a physics guy who does Monte Carlo simulations, where the quality
> of the random number generator (RNG) is a real issue, I am wondering:
>
> How often is the RNG called in Gnu Go?

Custom generator is used because we want GNU Go to behave identically
on (ideally) all operating systems and not depend on such things as
system-specific RNGs.  Therefore a built-in generator is needed.  It
is there and it is good (much better than would fit GNU Go's needs).
But there is absolutely no reason to alter or replace it.

Paul