Re: [gnugo-devel] web page reorganization

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] web page reorganization
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 23:15:24 +0200 (CEST)

> I miss `gnugo.html' in the tar-ball.  It doesn't matter much as long as
> you don't fail to upload it to Savannah though :)

Oops...

> > I have attached a tar-ball of how it would look like. The menu would get
> > added to all pages except patches.html, as I think for us it is more
> > annoying than useful. Colors are still ugly, some links don't work (as I
> > haven't attached everything to save space), and probably style sheets
> > should be used. But I think it is clear enough how it might look like,
> > so I would like to invite comments.
>
> I don't think we should change the color scheme as long as we live at
> `www.gnu.org' for consistency sake.  (And I don't think colors are ugly,
> they are simple and not outstanding, but for me "ugly" is green on pink
> or something).  I noticed that you messed up with logo's dimensions so
> it became stretched.

...I wasn't referring to the gnu.org colors, but to the colors on the
menu bar (see attached gnugo.html). I think it is a good idea (and
standard, and thus expected by the user, and thus good) to have a
different background color for the menu.

I think you will agree that my red-brown background doesn't mix well
with the link colors :)

> As for menu, I like the one on `http://www.gnu.org/'.  Very simple yet
> stylish with captions in boxes and items on the page white background.
> Completely along the purist lines of GNU website design :)

But we don't have captions for the GNU Go pages.

Arend

GNU Go

 [GNU and Tux playing Go]

no gifs due to patent problems

Download

Development page

Daily development resources

Free Go software directory

Links

Tournament results

Documentation

Mailing lists

GNU Go is a free program that plays the game of Go. GNU Go has played thousands of games on the NNGS Go server. GNU Go is now also playing regularly on the Legend Go Server in Taiwan, on the WING server in Japan, and many volunteers run GNU Go clients on KGS.

GNU Go 3.4

GNU Go 3.4, released July 31, 2003, is the latest stable version. It is portable and known to work well on GNU/Linux, Windows and Mac OS/X systems. You can download it here. It has established itself as the leading non-commercial go program in the recent tournaments that it has taken part in.

How strong is GNU Go?

This is a tough question. It results against humans vary a lot depending on how well the human knows its weaknesses, and on other factors (time settings, hardware, etc.) but most robots running GNU Go on one of the go servers achieve a rank of 8k-9k. Compared to other go programs, it may be 1-2 stones weaker than the top commercial go programs.

What you can find on these web pages

On the development page, you can find the latest development versions, and other information about GNU Go's development. The page on current patches might only be of interest to you once you are a GNU Go developer. The documentation is the complete texinfo documentation of GNU Go 3.4 converted to html.

The free go software directory tries to list all free software related to the game of go. The link collection directs you to pages related to computer go and GNU Go in particular that we have found useful.

Send inquiries and bug reports to address@hidden.

Return to GNU's home page.

Please send FSF & GNU inquiries & questions to address@hidden. There are also other ways to contact the FSF.

Please send comments on these web pages to address@hidden, send other questions to address@hidden.

Copyright (C) 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111, USA

Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.

Updated: Last modified: Fri Nov 28 06:29:24 2003