Re: [gnugo-devel] News from the olympiad

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] News from the olympiad
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:41:46 +0200

Jan wrote:
> OK, I was not aware of that. Still, I think this hasn't affected any of
> the outcomes.

No, it probably hasn't. Komi one point off would only very seldom
change how GNU Go plays at all.

> Anyway, the timing information for GNUGo is not very interesting, it
> usually moves very fast, spending no more than a minute or two on whole
> 9x9 game. The exception is a test game we played with Many Faces of Go,
> the latter running the strongest available version and GNUGo using level
> 15. I restructured the webpage a little and you will find this game under
> today's date.

Ah, I wondered what that file was about. I think you should increase
the level in the 9x9 games to 14, if not 15. Ok, only one game left
now.

> So does this mean there is not much sense in saving two copies of each
> game?

The cgoban save is only interesting to the extent that the timing
information means anything, yes. In 19x19 it ought to.

> Right now the result in 9x9 contest is that GNUGo has lost 2 games to
> GoIntellect and 1 game to Magog, Many Faces and DumbGo. There is one more
> game to play against DumbGo and then we will know its final score.

Not a catastrophe, but hardly a success either. How is the rest of the
field doing? The web site is awfully empty of result information.

The 19x19 tournament on the other hand does look like a catastrophe.
Double losses against Many Faces and Go Intellect if I read the game
records correctly.

I wrote:
> Great. I'll make a script which combines the most interesting
> information from each pair of sgf files and add them to CVS. Not until
> tonight, though.

The script is done but I have horrible problems with my network at
home. Hopefully I can get games into CVS tomorrow.

/Gunnar