Re: [gnugo-devel] Windows on desktops and Pocket PCs

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Windows on desktops and Pocket PCs
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:59:09 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:

> If you remember, we had mails from Vadim Lyakhovsky who ported
> GNU Go to Pocket PC (with Windows CE.)  This was the reason I
> implemented socket support in GNU Go: there are no pipes on
> Pocket PC, so we planned to extend socket support to Windows
> and allow him to compile GNU Go with no or less changes.

> Recently he got time for it again.  From his tests he concluded
> that the current method of socket support in GNU Go cannot be
> ported to Windows, neither Pocket PC nor even desktop versions.
> He claims that it is impossible to access sockets using normal
> stream IO functions (fputs(), fgets(), printf() and the like.)
>
> So he proposed that we completely replace those functions in
> GNU Go to something like gg_fputs() etc.  On POSIX systems,

I don't quite understand the problem. Does he want to connect to GNU Go
via GTP? If so, wouldn't it be sufficient to change gtp.c?

When I searched about these things for the GTP FAQ, I concluded that
Named pipes or TCP/IP would be the natural option under Windows. Doesn't
this work for Pocket PCs? Or was my conclusion wrong?