RE: [gnugo-devel] Windows on desktops and Pocket PCs

From: Jens Yllman
Subject: RE: [gnugo-devel] Windows on desktops and Pocket PCs
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 08:46:44 +0100

When you open a socket on windows the handle returned is not a handle same as when you open a file. So you can not use that handle with the same functions as you do when you work with a file, as you can i UNIX. This is a big drawback with windows sockets. In windows sockets you only have send()/recv() functions to send/receive data. In win socket 2 there might be other functions I've not looked at.

If I remember named pipes in windows also have there separete handles and functions.

cygwin have a unix type layer above the windows sockets. So on cygwin unix code works fine.

mingw32 does not use this unix layer in cygwin since mingw32 is more to use windows native.

Jens Yllman

At 19:35 2004-12-08, Portela Fernando wrote:
Hi,

Paul wrote:
> He's using TCP/IP sockets.  However, he claims that under Windows one
> cannot use sockets just like every other file.  You have to use recv()
> and send() or something.

To be precise, the faulty thing is the MSVC++ C Runtime Library, not
really the OS. The OS primitives like ReadFile() and WriteFile() are
documented as working on sockets returned by WinSock2's accept() for
instance. But the MS CRT lacks support for such kind of things and
it's most likely unsolvable, as already mentioned.

I'm almost sure a cygwin or a mingw build on Win32 won't have the
problem, as long as it doesn't use MS CRT library.
Unfortunately, VC is the only option for PocketPCs (or ?)

-- nando