Re: [gnugo-devel] Case study for GNU-Go

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Case study for GNU-Go
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:54:21 +0100

Paul wrote:
> Unless I'm mistaken, reverse engineering stands for recreating source
> code from executable.

I imagine that reverse engineering is a wider concept than that. You
can for example reverse engineer a protocol. I have no idea what the
reverse engineering tools might do with GNU Go or at what level they
are applied, but the results might be interesting.

> In this case you chose a wrong target as GNU Go is distributed as
> source code, there are even no official binaries.

Well, even if the reverse engineering is done at a low level, it's
probably useful to have ground truth available, to see how well the
tools are working.

> > I was wondering if I am allowed to do such a study. Thanks a lot!
>
> You are allowed to do everything permitted by the GNU GPL.  We might
> mind certain things on the ``please don't do that'' level, but the only
> legal barrier is GNU GPL, which is quite permissive anyway.

And in this particular case I don't see any reason to mind at all. The
only thing I would ask for is to show us the results if anything
interesting should turn up.

/Gunnar